log4j 1.3 update needed...

Hein Meling
Dear log4j developers.

I would really like to encourage you to release a new 1.3 alpha7 or
beta1 something ASAP, as alpha6 has been out there for too long without
any updates; and I don't want to spend my time trying to compile a cvs
version, since it does not appear to be straight forward with maven or
some other simple means (that is, I don't want to hunt the net for jar
files...)

In particular, I find alpha6 quite useless with all its log4j internal
log output polluting the output, similar to this:

log4j:INFO Creating new logger [jgroup.util.log.Eventlogger] in
repository [default].

Maybe its possible to turn them off; (have only seen messages on the
list stating otherwise)...

Thanks,

Hein

Re: log4j 1.3 update needed...

Bruno Melloni
Hein,

I am not a log4j developer, just a log4j user.  But I understand
development quite well.  We would all like easy to build, friendly CVS,
alpha and beta vesions, but those are not part of the product.  Alpha
versions of any software are expected to be a mess... the whole purpose
of their existence is to help the developers, not us users.  Beta
versions are for final debugging.  You should not be using those
versions for normal work.

I suggest that you do what I do... don't use Alpha versions, and avoid
Beta versions as much as possible.

Good luck.

Bruno Melloni
Director of Software Architecture
Akuratus Corporation
1333 N. Stemmons Fwy, Suite 110
Dallas, Texas 75207
Phone: 469.227.0920
Fax: 469.227.0967
[hidden email]
www.akuratus.com

>>> [hidden email] 5/8/2005 4:11:38 PM >>>
Dear log4j developers.

I would really like to encourage you to release a new 1.3 alpha7 or
beta1 something ASAP, as alpha6 has been out there for too long
without
any updates; and I don't want to spend my time trying to compile a cvs
version, since it does not appear to be straight forward with maven or
some other simple means (that is, I don't want to hunt the net for jar
files...)

In particular, I find alpha6 quite useless with all its log4j internal
log output polluting the output, similar to this:

log4j:INFO Creating new logger [jgroup.util.log.Eventlogger] in
repository [default].

Maybe its possible to turn them off; (have only seen messages on the
list stating otherwise)...

Thanks,

Hein

RE: log4j 1.3 update needed...

Juan Jose Garcia Lau
Best regards developers:

I agree with Hein, in the next release, please make an option to turn
off the log4j internal output log.

Thanks,

Juan

RE: log4j 1.3 update needed...

Gary Gregory-5
I've read on this list that this output is turn off in CVS already.

Gary

RE: log4j 1.3 update needed...

Mark Womack-2
So noted.  Would anyone be interested in logging a bug?

Also, we are in the process of determining the release schedule for v1.3
going forward.  Nothing is solid yet, but we are looking at a release of
v1.3 before the end of the year, with a beta release around late summer.

-Mark

RE: log4j 1.3 update needed...

Jacob Kjome

No need to report a bug, since it isn't one.  Try doing...

    <logger name="org.apache.log4j">
        <level value="OFF"/>
    </logger>

This should work if one builds from the latest Log4j source.

Jake

Quoting Mark Womack <[hidden email]>:

> So noted.  Would anyone be interested in logging a bug?
>
> Also, we are in the process of determining the release schedule for v1.3
> going forward.  Nothing is solid yet, but we are looking at a release of
> v1.3 before the end of the year, with a beta release around late summer.
>
> -Mark

RE: log4j 1.3 update needed...

Hein Meling
That sounds good; anyone care to create a cvs-snapshot of that code.

Thanks,

Hein