Trailing space on loglevel in properties file not trimmed

Trailing space on loglevel in properties file not trimmed

Michael Lück
Hello all,

I just realised that a trailing space on a level configuration in a
properties file doesn’t change the level of the logger.

I created a small example project
https://github.com/thuri/log4j-trailing-space-loglevel-properties

While the root logger is initialized with level info I want to make the
custom logger for package com.github.thuri to log on level debug.

When the level definition is written as

„logger.logtest.level =  DEBUG “

No Debug level logs occur on console

When using

“logger.logtest.level =  DEBUG”

It works as expected.

Should it really work this way or is this a bug?

Re: Trailing space on loglevel in properties file not trimmed

Remko Popma-2
I believe that's how java.util.Properties work but I can imagine this can be surprising...

Remko

(Shameless plug) Every main() method deserves http://picocli.info

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 21:24, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>

> I just realised that a trailing space on a level configuration in a
> properties file doesn’t change the level of the logger.
>
> I created a small example project
> https://github.com/thuri/log4j-trailing-space-loglevel-properties
>

> While the root logger is initialized with level info I want to make the
> custom logger for package com.github.thuri to log on level debug.
>

> When the level definition is written as
>
> „logger.logtest.level =  DEBUG “
>
> No Debug level logs occur on console
>

> When using
>
> “logger.logtest.level =  DEBUG”
>
> It works as expected.
>

> Should it really work this way or is this a bug?

AW: Trailing space on loglevel in properties file not trimmed

Michael Lück
Yes you're right. Java.util.Properties work this way. But I think the application that uses such properties should still validate the input. An because the levels are a fixed set of values it would be good to trim them after reading and before initializing the logger with the value.

I believe that's how java.util.Properties work but I can imagine this can be surprising...

Remko

(Shameless plug) Every main() method deserves http://picocli.info

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 21:24, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>

> I just realised that a trailing space on a level configuration in a
> properties file doesn’t change the level of the logger.
>
> I created a small example project
> https://github.com/thuri/log4j-trailing-space-loglevel-properties
>

> While the root logger is initialized with level info I want to make
> the custom logger for package com.github.thuri to log on level debug.
>

> When the level definition is written as
>
> „logger.logtest.level =  DEBUG “
>
> No Debug level logs occur on console
>

> When using
>
> “logger.logtest.level =  DEBUG”
>
> It works as expected.
>

> Should it really work this way or is this a bug?

Re: AW: Trailing space on loglevel in properties file not trimmed

Remko Popma-2
Makes sense.
Do you feel like submitting a patch or a pull request?

(Shameless plug) Every main() method deserves http://picocli.info

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 21:41, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes you're right. Java.util.Properties work this way. But I think the application that uses such properties should still validate the input. An because the levels are a fixed set of values it would be good to trim them after reading and before initializing the logger with the value.

AW: AW: Trailing space on loglevel in properties file not trimmed

Michael Lück
Of course ...

Do you feel like submitting a patch or a pull request?

(Shameless plug) Every main() method deserves http://picocli.info

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 21:41, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes you're right. Java.util.Properties work this way. But I think the application that uses such properties should still validate the input. An because the levels are a fixed set of values it would be good to trim them after reading and before initializing the logger with the value.

Pull request is submitted but the build process seems buggy as my PR is not the only one failing currently

https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/75

Do you feel like submitting a patch or a pull request?

(Shameless plug) Every main() method deserves http://picocli.info

> On Apr 24, 2017, at 21:41, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes you're right. Java.util.Properties work this way. But I think the application that uses such properties should still validate the input. An because the levels are a fixed set of values it would be good to trim them after reading and before initializing the logger with the value.

Ralph Goers
How is it failing? Do you have Java 9 installed with toolchains configured?

Ralph

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 6:46 AM, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Pull request is submitted but the build process seems buggy as my PR is not the only one failing currently
>
> https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/75

It's not failing locally but the build on travis-ci is failing:
https://travis-ci.org/apache/logging-log4j2/builds/225522713

Seems like a broken build running mvn clean install locally runs fine ...

How is it failing? Do you have Java 9 installed with toolchains configured?

Ralph

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 6:46 AM, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Pull request is submitted but the build process seems buggy as my PR
> is not the only one failing currently
>
> https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/75

Matt Sicker
Might be because we never updated the travis config after adding java 9
support. Not even sure what to do there, but it's probably not too hard.

On 25 April 2017 at 08:59, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not failing locally but the build on travis-ci is failing:
> https://travis-ci.org/apache/logging-log4j2/builds/225522713
>
> Seems like a broken build running mvn clean install locally runs fine ...

I’ve never looked at the Travis build. I don’t even know where it is running.  It certainly isn’t configured for Java 9.

Ralph

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 7:10 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Might be because we never updated the travis config after adding java 9
> support. Not even sure what to do there, but it's probably not too hard.
>
> On 25 April 2017 at 08:59, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's not failing locally but the build on travis-ci is failing:
>> https://travis-ci.org/apache/logging-log4j2/builds/225522713
>>
>> Seems like a broken build running mvn clean install locally runs fine ...

It's the .travis.yml file. Not much we can configure outside the file
without Infra getting involved. Docs: <
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java/>. Doesn't seem like they
support Java 9 at the moment.

On 25 April 2017 at 11:47, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve never looked at the Travis build. I don’t even know where it is
> running.  It certainly isn’t configured for Java 9.
>
> Ralph
>
> > On Apr 25, 2017, at 7:10 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Might be because we never updated the travis config after adding java 9
> > support. Not even sure what to do there, but it's probably not too hard.
> >
> > On 25 April 2017 at 08:59, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It's not failing locally but the build on travis-ci is failing:
> >> https://travis-ci.org/apache/logging-log4j2/builds/225522713
> >>
> >> Seems like a broken build running mvn clean install locally runs fine

Why do we have something running there?

Ralph

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's the .travis.yml file. Not much we can configure outside the file
> without Infra getting involved. Docs: <
> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java/>. Doesn't seem like they
> support Java 9 at the moment.
>
> On 25 April 2017 at 11:47, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I’ve never looked at the Travis build. I don’t even know where it is
>> running.  It certainly isn’t configured for Java 9.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 7:10 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Might be because we never updated the travis config after adding java 9
>>> support. Not even sure what to do there, but it's probably not too hard.

Gary Gregory-4
On Apr 25, 2017 11:01 AM, "Matt Sicker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's the .travis.yml file. Not much we can configure outside the file
without Infra getting involved. Docs: <
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java/>. Doesn't seem like they
support Java 9 at the moment.

Indeed, Travis supports
 jdk:

  - oraclejdk8
  - oraclejdk7
  - openjdk6

Gary

On 25 April 2017 at 11:47, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve never looked at the Travis build. I don’t even know where it is
> running.  It certainly isn’t configured for Java 9.
>
> Ralph
>
> > On Apr 25, 2017, at 7:10 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Might be because we never updated the travis config after adding java 9
> > support. Not even sure what to do there, but it's probably not too hard.
> >
> > On 25 April 2017 at 08:59, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It's not failing locally but the build on travis-ci is failing:
> >> https://travis-ci.org/apache/logging-log4j2/builds/225522713
> >>
> >> Seems like a broken build running mvn clean install locally runs fine

We have travis set up to automatically build and test pull requests on
GitHub. If we can swap that out with Jenkins somehow, then we don't need it
anymore.

On 25 April 2017 at 13:23, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why do we have something running there?
>
> Ralph
>
> > On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It's the .travis.yml file. Not much we can configure outside the file
> > without Infra getting involved. Docs: <
> > https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java/>. Doesn't seem like they
> > support Java 9 at the moment.
> >
> > On 25 April 2017 at 11:47, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I’ve never looked at the Travis build. I don’t even know where it is
> >> running.  It certainly isn’t configured for Java 9.
> >>
> >> Ralph

> hard.

About Java 9:

- https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/4178
- https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/7253

Gary

On Apr 25, 2017 11:43 AM, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 25, 2017 11:01 AM, "Matt Sicker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's the .travis.yml file. Not much we can configure outside the file
without Infra getting involved. Docs: <
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java/>. Doesn't seem like they
support Java 9 at the moment.

Indeed, Travis supports
 jdk:

  - oraclejdk8
  - oraclejdk7
  - openjdk6

Gary

On 25 April 2017 at 11:47, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve never looked at the Travis build. I don’t even know where it is
> running.  It certainly isn’t configured for Java 9.
>
> Ralph
>
> > On Apr 25, 2017, at 7:10 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Might be because we never updated the travis config after adding java 9
> > support. Not even sure what to do there, but it's probably not too hard.
> >
> > On 25 April 2017 at 08:59, Michael Lück <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It's not failing locally but the build on travis-ci is failing:
> >> https://travis-ci.org/apache/logging-log4j2/builds/225522713
> >>
> >> Seems like a broken build running mvn clean install locally runs fine

I would think having a job in Jenkins would be easy if they have the correct plugins installed.

Ralph

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 12:01 PM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We have travis set up to automatically build and test pull requests on
> GitHub. If we can swap that out with Jenkins somehow, then we don't need it
> anymore.
>
> On 25 April 2017 at 13:23, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why do we have something running there?
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's the .travis.yml file. Not much we can configure outside the file
>>> without Infra getting involved. Docs: <
>>> https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java/>. Doesn't seem like they
>>> support Java 9 at the moment.

>> hard.

It's free and when Jenkins bogs down, Travis is there, building with a
bunch of JDKs. Also the integration with Coveralls is neat, kinda ;-) but
I'm not sure we have that turned on. I know I enabled it for a couple of
Commons components.

Maybe one day Apache will not have to spend time and money in CI...

Gary