Syslog

Mikael Ståldal-3
Why do we have both SyslogAppender and SyslogLayout/RFC5424Layout?

--
MagineTV

Mikael Ståldal
Senior software developer

Magine TV
Grev Turegatan 3  | 114 46 Stockholm, Sweden  |   www.magine.com

Privileged and/or Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
(or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,
you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

(or responsible for delivery of the message to such a person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case,
you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.

Re: Syslog

Ralph Goers
Let me rephrase. http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#SyslogAppender describes exactly what it does - write either using the BSD Syslog format or the RFC 5424 format. A user who wants to write to syslog is most likely going to look at that appender and use it. The SyslogAppender uses the two layouts to accomplish this. The fact that the two layouts are also available for people to use is incidental.

Are you proposing that somehow the two layouts should not be available for user’s to use?

Ralph