[RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

[RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

Ralph Goers
This vote has been open for more than 5 days. It received 5 +1 votes and no other votes. So we will begin the process of moving the project back to Logging Services.

Ralph

> On Mar 11, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Log4cxx was originally a sub-project of the Logging Services. In 2013 several users became frustrated that they were submitting patches but there were no committers who could apply them. The Logging Services PMC was not comfortable making them committers as that would have given them commit rights to all the Logging Services projects, which at that time were all hosted in Subversion. As a consequence Log4cxx became an incubator project in hopes those who had expressed interest would start actively contributing to the project. After 3 1/2 years this has not had the hoped for result, although it does have more activity than it did prior to entering the incubator.
>
> The Logging Services PMC believes there is no longer a point to having Log4cxx remain in the incubator. The one active committer on Log4cxx has been voted in as a Logging Services committer and the PMC has voted [1] to move the project back to Logging Services. This is a vote for the incubator to affirm that move.
>
> [] +1 Move the project back to Logging Services
> [] +0 I don’t care where the project resides
> [] -1 The project should remain in the incubator because …
>

> [1] https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser <https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser>

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

johndament
Ralph,

Have you completed the process?  I see log4cxx is still listed as active in the incubator records.

John

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 10:45 PM Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
This vote has been open for more than 5 days. It received 5 +1 votes and no other votes. So we will begin the process of moving the project back to Logging Services.

Ralph

> On Mar 11, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Log4cxx was originally a sub-project of the Logging Services. In 2013 several users became frustrated that they were submitting patches but there were no committers who could apply them. The Logging Services PMC was not comfortable making them committers as that would have given them commit rights to all the Logging Services projects, which at that time were all hosted in Subversion. As a consequence Log4cxx became an incubator project in hopes those who had expressed interest would start actively contributing to the project. After 3 1/2 years this has not had the hoped for result, although it does have more activity than it did prior to entering the incubator.
>
> The Logging Services PMC believes there is no longer a point to having Log4cxx remain in the incubator. The one active committer on Log4cxx has been voted in as a Logging Services committer and the PMC has voted [1] to move the project back to Logging Services. This is a vote for the incubator to affirm that move.
>
> [] +1 Move the project back to Logging Services
> [] +0 I don’t care where the project resides
> [] -1 The project should remain in the incubator because …
>

> [1] https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser <https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser>

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

Ralph Goers
No. To be honest, I’m not 100% sure if the community wants to move to git or not and I am not quite sure what the process is to move from svn to git without losing history.  I guess I will just create a Jira issue for infra and find out.

Also we have an outstanding infra request to combine all the logging dev lists but I don’t seem to have permission to view the status of it.

Ralph

On Apr 5, 2017, at 8:19 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ralph,

Have you completed the process?  I see log4cxx is still listed as active in the incubator records.

John

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 10:45 PM Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
This vote has been open for more than 5 days. It received 5 +1 votes and no other votes. So we will begin the process of moving the project back to Logging Services.

Ralph

> On Mar 11, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Log4cxx was originally a sub-project of the Logging Services. In 2013 several users became frustrated that they were submitting patches but there were no committers who could apply them. The Logging Services PMC was not comfortable making them committers as that would have given them commit rights to all the Logging Services projects, which at that time were all hosted in Subversion. As a consequence Log4cxx became an incubator project in hopes those who had expressed interest would start actively contributing to the project. After 3 1/2 years this has not had the hoped for result, although it does have more activity than it did prior to entering the incubator.
>
> The Logging Services PMC believes there is no longer a point to having Log4cxx remain in the incubator. The one active committer on Log4cxx has been voted in as a Logging Services committer and the PMC has voted [1] to move the project back to Logging Services. This is a vote for the incubator to affirm that move.
>
> [] +1 Move the project back to Logging Services
> [] +0 I don’t care where the project resides
> [] -1 The project should remain in the incubator because …
>

> [1] https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser <https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser>

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

Ralph Goers
I figured out how to see the issue - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13651.  It seems it is in a status of waiting for user but the reporter has no way to kick it back to infra. It has been sitting there for over a week.

Ralph

On Apr 5, 2017, at 10:10 PM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:

No. To be honest, I’m not 100% sure if the community wants to move to git or not and I am not quite sure what the process is to move from svn to git without losing history.  I guess I will just create a Jira issue for infra and find out.

Also we have an outstanding infra request to combine all the logging dev lists but I don’t seem to have permission to view the status of it.

Ralph

On Apr 5, 2017, at 8:19 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ralph,

Have you completed the process?  I see log4cxx is still listed as active in the incubator records.

John

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 10:45 PM Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
This vote has been open for more than 5 days. It received 5 +1 votes and no other votes. So we will begin the process of moving the project back to Logging Services.

Ralph

> On Mar 11, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Log4cxx was originally a sub-project of the Logging Services. In 2013 several users became frustrated that they were submitting patches but there were no committers who could apply them. The Logging Services PMC was not comfortable making them committers as that would have given them commit rights to all the Logging Services projects, which at that time were all hosted in Subversion. As a consequence Log4cxx became an incubator project in hopes those who had expressed interest would start actively contributing to the project. After 3 1/2 years this has not had the hoped for result, although it does have more activity than it did prior to entering the incubator.
>
> The Logging Services PMC believes there is no longer a point to having Log4cxx remain in the incubator. The one active committer on Log4cxx has been voted in as a Logging Services committer and the PMC has voted [1] to move the project back to Logging Services. This is a vote for the incubator to affirm that move.
>
> [] +1 Move the project back to Logging Services
> [] +0 I don’t care where the project resides
> [] -1 The project should remain in the incubator because …
>

> [1] https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser <https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser>

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

Ralph Goers
I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13831 for the move from svn to git.

Ralph

I figured out how to see the issue - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13651 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13651>.  It seems it is in a status of waiting for user but the reporter has no way to kick it back to infra. It has been sitting there for over a week.

On Mar 11, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Ralph Goers <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

[1] https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser <https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser> <https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser <https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/logging-private/201703.mbox/browser>>

For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

On Apr 6, 2017, at 2:04 AM, Thorsten Schöning <[hidden email]> wrote:

Guten Tag Ralph Goers,
am Donnerstag, 6. April 2017 um 07:10 schrieben Sie:

No. To be honest, I’m not 100% sure if the community wants to move
to git or not

"We" want, as nobody objected in the discussion and Matts description
of how to deal with GitHub PRs sounds very promising.

and I am not quite sure what the process is to move
from svn to git without losing history.  I guess I will just create
a Jira issue for infra and find out.

From my understanding, a logging PMC needs to create the GIT repo:

With the continued growth of git usage, a service was created to
support creating new repositories for PMCs. It is a fully automated
tool, eliminating any additional tickets. The tool can be found at
https://reporeq.apache.org.

https://git-wip-us.apache.org

I know about the tool. I’ve used it a few times. I don’t know how to import from svn without losing history.

Additionally, the current SVN repo needs to be imported into a local
GIT repo and that import can than be pushed to the newly created at
Apache. Not sure where the SVN repo goes afterwards…

The above is the part I don’t know how to do.

In some former Mail, Matt thankfully offered to do the repo creation
and GIT import, but at least the import is something I could have a
look at myself as well. Shouldn't make any difference who pushes the
history in the end.

As I didn't do such an import in the past yet, it might simply take
some time. But there seem to be some good examples out there:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/3972103/2055163
https://github.com/nirvdrum/svn2git#readme

I will (try to) look into the import itself at the weekend.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

Greg Stein
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Thorsten Schöning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> and I am not quite sure what the process is to move
> from svn to git without losing history.  I guess I will just create
> a Jira issue for infra and find out.

From my understanding, a logging PMC needs to create the GIT repo:

Yeup.

Additionally, the current SVN repo needs to be imported into a local
GIT repo and that import can than be pushed to the newly created at
Apache. Not sure where the SVN repo goes afterwards...

The svn repo sticks around, and we just switch it to read-only (file an INFRA ticket when ready for that).

In some former Mail, Matt thankfully offered to do the repo creation
and GIT import, but at least the import is something I could have a
look at myself as well. Shouldn't make any difference who pushes the
history in the end.

Yes. The Logging community can run svn2git and tweak its operation until you have everything you want in the resulting (local) git repository. Once it all looks good, then push all of that history into the newly-created git-wip repository. (you may want to have INFRA disable commit emails during that push)

Cheers,
Greg Stein
Infrastructure Administrator, ASF

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

Ralph Goers
Thanks for the info Greg!

Ralph

On Apr 6, 2017, at 9:14 PM, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Thorsten Schöning <[hidden email]> wrote:
> and I am not quite sure what the process is to move
> from svn to git without losing history.  I guess I will just create
> a Jira issue for infra and find out.

From my understanding, a logging PMC needs to create the GIT repo:

Yeup.

[...]

It looks like most everything is done.  If you don't get to it, I'll update the podlings.xml and content/projects/log4cxx2.xml file to reflect graduation status.

John

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 1:10 AM Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the info Greg!

Ralph

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 9:14 PM, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Thorsten Schöning <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > and I am not quite sure what the process is to move
> > from svn to git without losing history.  I guess I will just create
> > a Jira issue for infra and find out.
>
> From my understanding, a logging PMC needs to create the GIT repo:
>
> Yeup.

> Additionally, the current SVN repo needs to be imported into a local
> GIT repo and that import can than be pushed to the newly created at
> Apache. Not sure where the SVN repo goes afterwards...
>
> The svn repo sticks around, and we just switch it to read-only (file an INFRA ticket when ready for that).
>
> In some former Mail, Matt thankfully offered to do the repo creation
> and GIT import, but at least the import is something I could have a
> look at myself as well. Shouldn't make any difference who pushes the
> history in the end.
>
> Yes. The Logging community can run svn2git and tweak its operation until you have everything you want in the resulting (local) git repository. Once it all looks good, then push all of that history into the newly-created git-wip repository. (you may want to have INFRA disable commit emails during that push)
>
> Cheers,
> Greg Stein
> Infrastructure Administrator, ASF

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

Ralph Goers
Yes, please go ahead.

Ralph

On Apr 9, 2017, at 3:06 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ralph,

It looks like most everything is done.  If you don't get to it, I'll update the podlings.xml and content/projects/log4cxx2.xml file to reflect graduation status.

John

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 1:10 AM Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the info Greg!

Ralph

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 9:14 PM, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Thorsten Schöning <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> > and I am not quite sure what the process is to move
> > from svn to git without losing history.  I guess I will just create
> > a Jira issue for infra and find out.
>
> From my understanding, a logging PMC needs to create the GIT repo:
>
> Yeup.

> Additionally, the current SVN repo needs to be imported into a local
> GIT repo and that import can than be pushed to the newly created at
> Apache. Not sure where the SVN repo goes afterwards...
>
> The svn repo sticks around, and we just switch it to read-only (file an INFRA ticket when ready for that).
>
> In some former Mail, Matt thankfully offered to do the repo creation
> and GIT import, but at least the import is something I could have a
> look at myself as well. Shouldn't make any difference who pushes the
> history in the end.
>
> Yes. The Logging community can run svn2git and tweak its operation until you have everything you want in the resulting (local) git repository. Once it all looks good, then push all of that history into the newly-created git-wip repository. (you may want to have INFRA disable commit emails during that push)
>
> Cheers,
> Greg Stein
> Infrastructure Administrator, ASF

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Return Log4cxx to the Logging Services project

Ralph Goers
I don’t really know the answer to that.

Ralph