PatternLayout Log4j2

EDMONDO SENA

Hi Everybody,

In log4j1.x I was using the PatternLayout(String Pattern) namely:

- setLayout(new PatternLayout("%d %-lp - %m").

Now I didn't understand the equivalent of making this regular expression in log4j2.
Can you help me understand better?

Re: PatternLayout Log4j2

Ralph Goers
I am not sure what you mean by “regular expression” with regards to the PatternLayout as it doesn’t use regular expressions.  Have you tried the same pattern? My guess is it should do the same thing Log4j 1 did.

Ralph

> On Feb 27, 2020, at 2:25 AM, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Everybody,
>
> In log4j1.x I was using the PatternLayout(String Pattern) namely:
>
> - setLayout(new PatternLayout("%d %-lp - %m").
>
> Now I didn't understand the equivalent of making this regular expression in log4j2.
> Can you help me understand better?

Re: PatternLayout Log4j2

EDMONDO SENA

I've used:

Call ->
final Builder<?> builder2 = newSyslogAppenderBuilder(protocol, format, newLine);

protected static Builder<?> newSyslogAppenderBuilder(final String protocol,final String format,final boolean newLine)

return Syslog4jAppenderLI.newSyslogAppenderBuilder()
            .withHost(xxxxx)
            .withPort(xxxxx).

builder2.setLayout((Layout<? extends Serializable> ) PatternLayout.newBuilder().withPattern("%d %-lp - %m").build());

I don't know if it is will work.

On 2020/02/27 15:18:24, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not sure what you mean by “regular expression” with regards to the PatternLayout as it doesn’t use regular expressions.  Have you tried the same pattern? My guess is it should do the same thing Log4j 1 did.
>
> Ralph
>
> > On Feb 27, 2020, at 2:25 AM, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > In log4j1.x I was using the PatternLayout(String Pattern) namely:
> >
> > - setLayout(new PatternLayout("%d %-lp - %m").
> >
> > Now I didn't understand the equivalent of making this regular expression in log4j2.
> > Can you help me understand better?

Re: PatternLayout Log4j2

Ralph Goers
Why are you using the PatternLayout with the SyslogAppender?  If you replace the Layout it will no longer be sending data in accordance with the Syslog spec.  Why are you doing this programmatically instead of using a configuration file?

Ralph

> On Feb 27, 2020, at 8:25 AM, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I've used:
>
> Call ->
> final Builder<?> builder2 = newSyslogAppenderBuilder(protocol, format, newLine);
>

> protected static Builder<?> newSyslogAppenderBuilder(final String protocol,final String format,final boolean newLine)
>
> return Syslog4jAppenderLI.newSyslogAppenderBuilder()
>     .withHost(xxxxx)
>     .withPort(xxxxx).

> builder2.setLayout((Layout<? extends Serializable> ) PatternLayout.newBuilder().withPattern("%d %-lp - %m").build());
>
> I don't know if it is will work.
>

> On 2020/02/27 15:18:24, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am not sure what you mean by “regular expression” with regards to the PatternLayout as it doesn’t use regular expressions.  Have you tried the same pattern? My guess is it should do the same thing Log4j 1 did.
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>>> On Feb 27, 2020, at 2:25 AM, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Everybody,
>>>
>>> In log4j1.x I was using the PatternLayout(String Pattern) namely:
>>>
>>> - setLayout(new PatternLayout("%d %-lp - %m").
>>>
>>> Now I didn't understand the equivalent of making this regular expression in log4j2.
>>> Can you help me understand better?

Re: PatternLayout Log4j2

EDMONDO SENA

Is it possible to do it in java code without configuration file?

On 2020/02/27 15:28:26, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why are you using the PatternLayout with the SyslogAppender?  If you replace the Layout it will no longer be sending data in accordance with the Syslog spec.  Why are you doing this programmatically instead of using a configuration file?
>
> Ralph
>
> > On Feb 27, 2020, at 8:25 AM, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > I've used:
> >
> > Call ->
> > final Builder<?> builder2 = newSyslogAppenderBuilder(protocol, format, newLine);
> >

> > protected static Builder<?> newSyslogAppenderBuilder(final String protocol,final String format,final boolean newLine)
> >
> > return Syslog4jAppenderLI.newSyslogAppenderBuilder()
> >     .withHost(xxxxx)
> >     .withPort(xxxxx).

> > builder2.setLayout((Layout<? extends Serializable> ) PatternLayout.newBuilder().withPattern("%d %-lp - %m").build());
> >
> > I don't know if it is will work.
> >

> > On 2020/02/27 15:18:24, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I am not sure what you mean by “regular expression” with regards to the PatternLayout as it doesn’t use regular expressions.  Have you tried the same pattern? My guess is it should do the same thing Log4j 1 did.
> >>
> >> Ralph

Re: PatternLayout Log4j2

Matt Sicker
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/customconfig.html

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 09:32 EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to do it in java code without configuration file?
>

> On 2020/02/27 15:28:26, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Why are you using the PatternLayout with the SyslogAppender?  If you
> replace the Layout it will no longer be sending data in accordance with the
> Syslog spec.  Why are you doing this programmatically instead of using a
> configuration file?
> >
> > Ralph
> >
> > > On Feb 27, 2020, at 8:25 AM, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > I've used:
> > >
> > > Call ->
> > > final Builder<?> builder2 = newSyslogAppenderBuilder(protocol, format,
> newLine);
> > >

> > > protected static Builder<?> newSyslogAppenderBuilder(final String
> protocol,final String format,final boolean newLine)
> > >
> > > return Syslog4jAppenderLI.newSyslogAppenderBuilder()
> > >                     .withHost(xxxxx)
> > >                     .withPort(xxxxx).

> > > builder2.setLayout((Layout<? extends Serializable> )
> PatternLayout.newBuilder().withPattern("%d %-lp - %m").build());
> > >
> > > I don't know if it is will work.

> the PatternLayout as it doesn’t use regular expressions.  Have you tried
> the same pattern? My guess is it should do the same thing Log4j 1 did.

> expression in log4j2.

Re: PatternLayout Log4j2

EDMONDO SENA
I saw it but not everything in that examples is clear to me...

On 2020/02/27 15:33:56, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/customconfig.html
>

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 09:32 EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Is it possible to do it in java code without configuration file?
> >

> > On 2020/02/27 15:28:26, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Why are you using the PatternLayout with the SyslogAppender?  If you
> > replace the Layout it will no longer be sending data in accordance with the
> > Syslog spec.  Why are you doing this programmatically instead of using a
> > configuration file?
> > >
> > > Ralph

> > newLine);

> > protocol,final String format,final boolean newLine)

> > PatternLayout.newBuilder().withPattern("%d %-lp - %m").build());

> > the PatternLayout as it doesn’t use regular expressions.  Have you tried
> > the same pattern? My guess is it should do the same thing Log4j 1 did.

> > expression in log4j2.

> > --
> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: PatternLayout Log4j2

Matt Sicker
One thing to keep in mind is that unless you’re willing to keep updating
code based on internal changes, you shouldn’t be creating plugin objects
directly from their builder classes or factory methods. The programmatic
config has a few examples in our unit tests.