OpenTelemetry appender?

Travis Spencer
Is anyone aware of an OpenTelemetry [1] appender or one for OpenTracing
(the predecessor of OpenTelemetry)?

It seems possible to integrate with the existing log4j2 flow tracing[2].

If yes, can someone please point it out?

If no, it seems (from what little I know about OpenTelemetry) that the
appender would just need to implement the protocol buffer API specified at
[3]. Would others be interested in such an appender as well? Do the
developers of log4j think this to be an apt way of integrating Java apps
with OpenTelemetry trace consumers?

TIA!

[1] https://opentelemetry.io/

[2] See
https://www.ralphgoers.com/post/getting-the-most-out-of-the-log4j-2-api#viewer-6f2om
for an example of what I mean.

[3]
https://github.com/open-telemetry/opentelemetry-proto/blob/master/opentelemetry/proto/trace/v1/trace.proto

Re: OpenTelemetry appender?

Matt Sicker
With log4j-audit, a predefined schema could potentially be made there.
I haven't looked too closely at OpenTelemetry yet, though it seems
like a useful feature.