Moving log4php to git

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Moving log4php to git

Ivan Habunek
Hi all,

I have submitted a ticket to move log4php to git. I believe this might
be a step in the right direction for attracting more submissions,
since I have encountered several people willing to contribute, but
reluctant with using svn.

The infra ticket is here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5500

You will have prior notice before the change becomes final.

Best regards,
Ivan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Moving log4php to git

Florian Semm
Am 09.11.2012 09:48, schrieb Ivan Habunek:

> Hi all,
>
> I have submitted a ticket to move log4php to git. I believe this might
> be a step in the right direction for attracting more submissions,
> since I have encountered several people willing to contribute, but
> reluctant with using svn.
>
> The infra ticket is here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5500
>
> You will have prior notice before the change becomes final.
>
> Best regards,
> Ivan
Hey,

thats greate +1

Florian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Moving log4php to git

Michael Sole-2
Isn't subversion an apache project?

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 10, 2012, at 6:56 AM, "Florian Semm" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 09.11.2012 09:48, schrieb Ivan Habunek:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have submitted a ticket to move log4php to git. I believe this might
>> be a step in the right direction for attracting more submissions,
>> since I have encountered several people willing to contribute, but
>> reluctant with using svn.
>>
>> The infra ticket is here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5500
>>
>> You will have prior notice before the change becomes final.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Ivan
> Hey,
>
> thats greate +1
>
> Florian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Moving log4php to git

Ivan Habunek
On 10 November 2012 16:47, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Isn't subversion an apache project?

Yes it is. What's your point? :)

Regards,
Ivan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Moving log4php to git

Michael Sole-2
And isn't log4php?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ivan Habunek [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:50 AM
To: Log4PHP User
Subject: Re: Moving log4php to git

On 10 November 2012 16:47, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Isn't subversion an apache project?

Yes it is. What's your point? :)

Regards,
Ivan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Moving log4php to git

Christian grobmeier
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And isn't log4php?

It does not mean we are limited to ASF tools. Every project can freely
chose the tools it wants


>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ivan Habunek [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:50 AM
> To: Log4PHP User
> Subject: Re: Moving log4php to git
>
> On 10 November 2012 16:47, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Isn't subversion an apache project?
>
> Yes it is. What's your point? :)
>
> Regards,
> Ivan



--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Moving log4php to git

Michael Sole-2
Yes I am aware, my point is that it would be counter intuitive. People would expect svn use and while git it is the new golden child it doesn't really offer much more in the way of advantages over svn. Moving repositories is a real pain.

Just my opinion, though. I haven't contributed yet but I do use svn as my repo.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Grobmeier [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 8:34 AM
To: Log4PHP User
Subject: Re: Moving log4php to git

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And isn't log4php?

It does not mean we are limited to ASF tools. Every project can freely chose the tools it wants


>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ivan Habunek [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:50 AM
> To: Log4PHP User
> Subject: Re: Moving log4php to git
>
> On 10 November 2012 16:47, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Isn't subversion an apache project?
>
> Yes it is. What's your point? :)
>
> Regards,
> Ivan



--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Moving log4php to git

Christian grobmeier
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes I am aware, my point is that it would be counter intuitive. People would expect svn use and while git it is the new golden child it doesn't really offer much more in the way of advantages over svn. Moving repositories is a real pain.

Actually moving to git is straightforward. It works really well.
And there are many projects using git at Apache. Not all as first
instance, but there are some.
Look at: http://git.apache.org

That said we have had some requests of users who wanted to use git.
When it comes to the features svn/git: there actually are some
differences. Personally I am not religious on it, but it clearly see
some benefits when it comes to mergin. In addition we have received a
couple of git patches so far.

> Just my opinion, though. I haven't contributed yet but I do use svn as my repo.

Well, look at it like me (i am not good with git): its a great chance
to learn more about it.

And hey... we are looking forward to your contributions :-)

Cheers

>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christian Grobmeier [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 8:34 AM
> To: Log4PHP User
> Subject: Re: Moving log4php to git
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> And isn't log4php?
>
> It does not mean we are limited to ASF tools. Every project can freely chose the tools it wants
>
>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Ivan Habunek [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:50 AM
>> To: Log4PHP User
>> Subject: Re: Moving log4php to git
>>
>> On 10 November 2012 16:47, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Isn't subversion an apache project?
>>
>> Yes it is. What's your point? :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ivan
>
>
>
> --
> http://www.grobmeier.de
> https://www.timeandbill.de



--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Moving log4php to git

Ivan Habunek
In reply to this post by Michael Sole-2
On 12 November 2012 14:36, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes I am aware, my point is that it would be counter intuitive. People would expect svn use and while git it is the new golden child it doesn't really offer much more in the way of advantages over svn. Moving repositories is a real pain.
>
> Just my opinion, though. I haven't contributed yet but I do use svn as my repo.

There are several reasons for the switch.

Firstly, we developers agreed that we prefer working with git, so this
will make our jobs more pleasurable, and therefore more productive.

Secondly, there are a couple of contributors whose input I value who
said that they do not provide patches as often because we don't accept
git pull requests.

Also, I do not agree that git does not bring any significant
advantages. One simple example: try developing without an active
internet connection. I was in this position several times this year.

Apache infra project is managing the transition and they already have
a lot of experience doing this, so I don't anticipate many problems.

Regards,
Ivan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Moving log4php to git

Michael Sole-2
In reply to this post by Christian grobmeier
I know the differences as I did an analysis recently for work but on second thought an opensource project like this may get more of a benefit from git than a private company might.

I use both so no biggy

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Grobmeier [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 8:45 AM
To: Log4PHP User
Subject: Re: Moving log4php to git

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes I am aware, my point is that it would be counter intuitive. People would expect svn use and while git it is the new golden child it doesn't really offer much more in the way of advantages over svn. Moving repositories is a real pain.

Actually moving to git is straightforward. It works really well.
And there are many projects using git at Apache. Not all as first instance, but there are some.
Look at: http://git.apache.org

That said we have had some requests of users who wanted to use git.
When it comes to the features svn/git: there actually are some differences. Personally I am not religious on it, but it clearly see some benefits when it comes to mergin. In addition we have received a couple of git patches so far.

> Just my opinion, though. I haven't contributed yet but I do use svn as my repo.

Well, look at it like me (i am not good with git): its a great chance to learn more about it.

And hey... we are looking forward to your contributions :-)

Cheers

>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Christian Grobmeier [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 8:34 AM
> To: Log4PHP User
> Subject: Re: Moving log4php to git
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> And isn't log4php?
>
> It does not mean we are limited to ASF tools. Every project can freely
> chose the tools it wants
>
>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Ivan Habunek [mailto:[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:50 AM
>> To: Log4PHP User
>> Subject: Re: Moving log4php to git
>>
>> On 10 November 2012 16:47, Michael Sole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Isn't subversion an apache project?
>>
>> Yes it is. What's your point? :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ivan
>
>
>
> --
> http://www.grobmeier.de
> https://www.timeandbill.de



--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de
Loading...