Java.lang.LinkageError

EDMONDO SENA
Hi Everybody,

I'm using log4j  2 with Junit 5 and java 11 with last version of PowerMock, but the following error is showed:

"Could not reconfigure jmx
java.lang.LinkageError:  loader constraint violation : loader org.powermock.core.classloader.javassist.JavassistMockClassLoader, child of 'app' jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoader$AppClassLoader wants to load interface javax.management.MBeanServer."

A different interface with the same name was previously loaded by 'bootstrap'.

Can you help me in order to fix this error?
Kind regards.

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

Benjamin Asbach
Hello Edmondo,

I don't think this is an log4j related issue.

You're using Powermock in combination with JUnit 5 which currently is
not supported [1]. There's some kind of workaround [2] you might try
that out.

Greetings
Benjamin

[1] https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830
[2]
https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661

On 2020-04-29 11:42, EDMONDO SENA wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I'm using log4j  2 with Junit 5 and java 11 with last version of
> PowerMock, but the following error is showed:
>
> "Could not reconfigure jmx
> java.lang.LinkageError:  loader constraint violation : loader
> org.powermock.core.classloader.javassist.JavassistMockClassLoader,
> child of 'app' jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoader$AppClassLoader wants to
> load interface javax.management.MBeanServer."
>
> A different interface with the same name was previously loaded by
> 'bootstrap'.
>
> Can you help me in order to fix this error?
> Kind regards.

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

EDMONDO SENA
No It is not so!

PowerMock with java 11 and Log4j old version (1), everything was working.
Adding Log4j 2 We've that problem...

On 2020/04/29 11:33:24, Benjamin Asbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Edmondo,
>
> I don't think this is an log4j related issue.
>
> You're using Powermock in combination with JUnit 5 which currently is
> not supported [1]. There's some kind of workaround [2] you might try
> that out.
>
> Greetings
> Benjamin
>
> [1] https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830
> [2]
> https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661
>
> On 2020-04-29 11:42, EDMONDO SENA wrote:
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > I'm using log4j  2 with Junit 5 and java 11 with last version of
> > PowerMock, but the following error is showed:
> >
> > "Could not reconfigure jmx
> > java.lang.LinkageError:  loader constraint violation : loader
> > org.powermock.core.classloader.javassist.JavassistMockClassLoader,
> > child of 'app' jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoader$AppClassLoader wants to
> > load interface javax.management.MBeanServer."
> >
> > A different interface with the same name was previously loaded by
> > 'bootstrap'.
> >
> > Can you help me in order to fix this error?
> > Kind regards.

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

EDMONDO SENA
Sorry, we're using Java 11, Junit 4 e Log4j 2!

On 2020/04/29 11:49:03, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No It is not so!
>
> PowerMock with java 11 and Log4j old version (1), everything was working.
> Adding Log4j 2 We've that problem...
>

> On 2020/04/29 11:33:24, Benjamin Asbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Edmondo,
> >
> > I don't think this is an log4j related issue.
> >
> > You're using Powermock in combination with JUnit 5 which currently is
> > not supported [1]. There's some kind of workaround [2] you might try
> > that out.
> >
> > Greetings
> > Benjamin
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830
> > [2]
> > https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661
> >
> > On 2020-04-29 11:42, EDMONDO SENA wrote:
> > > Hi Everybody,
> > >
> > > I'm using log4j  2 with Junit 5 and java 11 with last version of
> > > PowerMock, but the following error is showed:
> > >
> > > "Could not reconfigure jmx
> > > java.lang.LinkageError:  loader constraint violation : loader
> > > org.powermock.core.classloader.javassist.JavassistMockClassLoader,
> > > child of 'app' jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoader$AppClassLoader wants to
> > > load interface javax.management.MBeanServer."
> > >
> > > A different interface with the same name was previously loaded by
> > > 'bootstrap'.
> > >
> > > Can you help me in order to fix this error?
> > > Kind regards.

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

EDMONDO SENA
Any question?

I'm using Log4j 2.13.0.......

https://stackanswers.net/questions/powermock-after-log4j2-3-upgrade-could-not-reconfigure-jmx-java-lang-linkageerror

On 2020/04/29 11:55:32, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, we're using Java 11, Junit 4 e Log4j 2!
>

> On 2020/04/29 11:49:03, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > No It is not so!
> >
> > PowerMock with java 11 and Log4j old version (1), everything was working.
> > Adding Log4j 2 We've that problem...
> >

> > On 2020/04/29 11:33:24, Benjamin Asbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hello Edmondo,
> > >
> > > I don't think this is an log4j related issue.
> > >
> > > You're using Powermock in combination with JUnit 5 which currently is
> > > not supported [1]. There's some kind of workaround [2] you might try
> > > that out.
> > >
> > > Greetings
> > > Benjamin
> > >
> > > [1] https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830
> > > [2]
> > > https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

EDMONDO SENA
In API Document is reported this phrase:

Enabling JMX
JMX support is enabled by default. When Log4j initializes, the StatusLogger, ContextSelector, and all LoggerContexts, LoggerConfigs and Appenders are instrumented with MBeans. To disable JMX completely, and prevent these MBeans from being created, specify system property log4j2.disableJmx to true when you start the Java VM.

Can you explain me if the problem can be fixed set  log4j2.disableJmx=true or using
@PowerMockIgnore("Javax.management.* ")?

Or something else?

On 2020/04/29 12:07:06, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any question?
>
> I'm using Log4j 2.13.0.......
>
> https://stackanswers.net/questions/powermock-after-log4j2-3-upgrade-could-not-reconfigure-jmx-java-lang-linkageerror
>

> On 2020/04/29 11:55:32, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sorry, we're using Java 11, Junit 4 e Log4j 2!
> >

> > On 2020/04/29 11:49:03, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > No It is not so!
> > >
> > > PowerMock with java 11 and Log4j old version (1), everything was working.
> > > Adding Log4j 2 We've that problem...

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

Matt Sicker
The JMX module isn’t fully compatible with Java 11 as far as I can tell. It
doesn’t even compile above 8.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 07:17 EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In API Document is reported this phrase:
>
> Enabling JMX
> JMX support is enabled by default. When Log4j initializes, the
> StatusLogger, ContextSelector, and all LoggerContexts, LoggerConfigs and
> Appenders are instrumented with MBeans. To disable JMX completely, and
> prevent these MBeans from being created, specify system property
> log4j2.disableJmx to true when you start the Java VM.
>
> Can you explain me if the problem can be fixed set  log4j2.disableJmx=true
> or using
> @PowerMockIgnore("Javax.management.* ")?
>
> Or something else?
>

> On 2020/04/29 12:07:06, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Any question?
> >
> > I'm using Log4j 2.13.0.......
> >

> https://stackanswers.net/questions/powermock-after-log4j2-3-upgrade-could-not-reconfigure-jmx-java-lang-linkageerror
> >

> > On 2020/04/29 11:55:32, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Sorry, we're using Java 11, Junit 4 e Log4j 2!

> working.

> is
> try

> https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661

> org.powermock.core.classloader.javassist.JavassistMockClassLoader,
> wants to

> by

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

EDMONDO SENA
Matt sorry,

I need a solution!

Before we were Java 8, and Log4j and everything has worked!
Well, now we've java 11 and Log4j 2.
How can we fix it?
Have you any suggest?

On 2020/04/29 13:29:04, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The JMX module isn’t fully compatible with Java 11 as far as I can tell. It
> doesn’t even compile above 8.
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 07:17 EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In API Document is reported this phrase:
> >
> > Enabling JMX
> > JMX support is enabled by default. When Log4j initializes, the
> > StatusLogger, ContextSelector, and all LoggerContexts, LoggerConfigs and
> > Appenders are instrumented with MBeans. To disable JMX completely, and
> > prevent these MBeans from being created, specify system property
> > log4j2.disableJmx to true when you start the Java VM.
> >
> > Can you explain me if the problem can be fixed set  log4j2.disableJmx=true
> > or using
> > @PowerMockIgnore("Javax.management.* ")?
> >
> > Or something else?
> >

> > On 2020/04/29 12:07:06, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Any question?
> > >
> > > I'm using Log4j 2.13.0.......
> > >

> > https://stackanswers.net/questions/powermock-after-log4j2-3-upgrade-could-not-reconfigure-jmx-java-lang-linkageerror

> > working.

> > is
> > try

> > https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661

> > org.powermock.core.classloader.javassist.JavassistMockClassLoader,
> > wants to

> > by

> > --
> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

EDMONDO SENA
I repeat, we've done some tests and with java 11, Junit 4 and Log4j 1 everything has worked well.
The only difference is log4j -> log4j 2.13 and we've this problem.
Can you suggest us what's the workaround?

Kind regards.

On 2020/04/29 13:32:17, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt sorry,
>
> I need a solution!
>
> Before we were Java 8, and Log4j and everything has worked!
> Well, now we've java 11 and Log4j 2.
> How can we fix it?
> Have you any suggest?
>

> On 2020/04/29 13:29:04, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The JMX module isn’t fully compatible with Java 11 as far as I can tell. It
> > doesn’t even compile above 8.
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 07:17 EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > In API Document is reported this phrase:
> > >
> > > Enabling JMX
> > > JMX support is enabled by default. When Log4j initializes, the
> > > StatusLogger, ContextSelector, and all LoggerContexts, LoggerConfigs and
> > > Appenders are instrumented with MBeans. To disable JMX completely, and
> > > prevent these MBeans from being created, specify system property
> > > log4j2.disableJmx to true when you start the Java VM.
> > >
> > > Can you explain me if the problem can be fixed set  log4j2.disableJmx=true
> > > or using
> > > @PowerMockIgnore("Javax.management.* ")?
> > >
> > > Or something else?

> > > https://stackanswers.net/questions/powermock-after-log4j2-3-upgrade-could-not-reconfigure-jmx-java-lang-linkageerror

> > > working.

> > > is
> > > try

> > > https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661

> > > org.powermock.core.classloader.javassist.JavassistMockClassLoader,
> > > wants to

> > > by

> > > --
> > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

Matt Sicker
Sounds like you’ll need to configure PowerMock to ignore the log4j2 JMX
classes. There’s also a system property in log4j2 to disable JMX which is
worth a try.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 08:34 EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I repeat, we've done some tests and with java 11, Junit 4 and Log4j 1
> everything has worked well.
> The only difference is log4j -> log4j 2.13 and we've this problem.
> Can you suggest us what's the workaround?
>
> Kind regards.
>

> On 2020/04/29 13:32:17, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Matt sorry,
> >
> > I need a solution!
> >
> > Before we were Java 8, and Log4j and everything has worked!
> > Well, now we've java 11 and Log4j 2.
> > How can we fix it?
> > Have you any suggest?
> >

> > On 2020/04/29 13:29:04, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > The JMX module isn’t fully compatible with Java 11 as far as I can
> tell. It
> > > doesn’t even compile above 8.

> and
> and

> log4j2.disableJmx=true

> https://stackanswers.net/questions/powermock-after-log4j2-3-upgrade-could-not-reconfigure-jmx-java-lang-linkageerror

> was

> currently
> might

> https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661

> version of

> loader

> jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoader$AppClassLoader

> loaded

> > > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

Matt Sicker
Also, if you’re trying to mock log4j2 in tests, you can always use the
LoggerContextRule from our test libraries to configure logging at the test
level.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 08:42 Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds like you’ll need to configure PowerMock to ignore the log4j2 JMX
> classes. There’s also a system property in log4j2 to disable JMX which is
> worth a try.
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 08:34 EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I repeat, we've done some tests and with java 11, Junit 4 and Log4j 1
>> everything has worked well.
>> The only difference is log4j -> log4j 2.13 and we've this problem.
>> Can you suggest us what's the workaround?
>>
>> Kind regards.
>>

>> On 2020/04/29 13:32:17, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Matt sorry,
>> >
>> > I need a solution!
>> >
>> > Before we were Java 8, and Log4j and everything has worked!
>> > Well, now we've java 11 and Log4j 2.
>> > How can we fix it?
>> > Have you any suggest?

>> tell. It

>> LoggerConfigs and
>> and

>> log4j2.disableJmx=true

>> https://stackanswers.net/questions/powermock-after-log4j2-3-upgrade-could-not-reconfigure-jmx-java-lang-linkageerror

>> was

>> currently
>> might

>> https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661

>> version of

>> loader

>> jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoader$AppClassLoader

>> loaded

>> [hidden email]

>> [hidden email]
>> [hidden email]

>> [hidden email]
>> [hidden email]

>> [hidden email]

>> --
> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

EDMONDO SENA
Hi Matt,

We've 100 files to change.
So, in order to speed solution is it disable JMX in log4j2?
You mean log4j2.disable.jmx=true?
You think that use @PowerMockIgnore("Javax.management.* ") is useless?

On 2020/04/29 13:42:02, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds like you’ll need to configure PowerMock to ignore the log4j2 JMX
> classes. There’s also a system property in log4j2 to disable JMX which is
> worth a try.
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 08:34 EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I repeat, we've done some tests and with java 11, Junit 4 and Log4j 1
> > everything has worked well.
> > The only difference is log4j -> log4j 2.13 and we've this problem.
> > Can you suggest us what's the workaround?
> >
> > Kind regards.
> >

> > On 2020/04/29 13:32:17, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Matt sorry,
> > >
> > > I need a solution!
> > >
> > > Before we were Java 8, and Log4j and everything has worked!
> > > Well, now we've java 11 and Log4j 2.
> > > How can we fix it?
> > > Have you any suggest?

> > tell. It

> > and
> > and

> > log4j2.disableJmx=true

> > https://stackanswers.net/questions/powermock-after-log4j2-3-upgrade-could-not-reconfigure-jmx-java-lang-linkageerror

> > was

> > currently
> > might

> > https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661

> > version of

> > loader

> > jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoader$AppClassLoader

> > loaded

> > [hidden email]

> > [hidden email]
> > [hidden email]

> > [hidden email]
> > [hidden email]

> > --
> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

Matt Sicker
Yes, I mean the system property. I don't know much about PowerMock,
though I never mock loggers.

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 08:52, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> We've 100 files to change.
> So, in order to speed solution is it disable JMX in log4j2?
> You mean log4j2.disable.jmx=true?
> You think that use @PowerMockIgnore("Javax.management.* ") is useless?
>

> On 2020/04/29 13:42:02, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sounds like you’ll need to configure PowerMock to ignore the log4j2 JMX
> > classes. There’s also a system property in log4j2 to disable JMX which is
> > worth a try.
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 08:34 EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I repeat, we've done some tests and with java 11, Junit 4 and Log4j 1
> > > everything has worked well.
> > > The only difference is log4j -> log4j 2.13 and we've this problem.
> > > Can you suggest us what's the workaround?
> > >
> > > Kind regards.

> > > tell. It

> > > and
> > > and

> > > log4j2.disableJmx=true

> > > https://stackanswers.net/questions/powermock-after-log4j2-3-upgrade-could-not-reconfigure-jmx-java-lang-linkageerror

> > > was

> > > currently
> > > might

> > > https://github.com/powermock/powermock/issues/830#issuecomment-616243661

> > > version of

> > > loader

> > > jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoader$AppClassLoader

> > > loaded

> > > [hidden email]

> > > [hidden email]
> > > [hidden email]

> > > [hidden email]
> > > [hidden email]

> > > --
> > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

EDMONDO SENA
Matt, last question:

Before for log4j 1 the JMX wasn't enabled for default?

On 2020/04/29 14:30:12, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I mean the system property. I don't know much about PowerMock,
> though I never mock loggers.
>
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 08:52, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > We've 100 files to change.
> > So, in order to speed solution is it disable JMX in log4j2?
> > You mean log4j2.disable.jmx=true?
> > You think that use @PowerMockIgnore("Javax.management.* ") is useless?
> >

> > On 2020/04/29 13:42:02, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Sounds like you’ll need to configure PowerMock to ignore the log4j2 JMX
> > > classes. There’s also a system property in log4j2 to disable JMX which is
> > > worth a try.

> > > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

Matt Sicker
I don't know anything about log4j1 as I haven't used that for several
years, sorry.

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 09:33, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt, last question:
>
> Before for log4j 1 the JMX wasn't enabled for default?
>

> On 2020/04/29 14:30:12, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Yes, I mean the system property. I don't know much about PowerMock,
> > though I never mock loggers.
> >
> > On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 08:52, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Matt,
> > >
> > > We've 100 files to change.
> > > So, in order to speed solution is it disable JMX in log4j2?
> > > You mean log4j2.disable.jmx=true?
> > > You think that use @PowerMockIgnore("Javax.management.* ") is useless?

> > --
> > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Java.lang.LinkageError

Log4j 1.x and Log4j 2 are completely different code bases. They have very little in common. I’m not even sure Log4j 1 had any support for JMX.

Ralph