[INFO] Log4j Release Overview

Mark Womack
The log4j committers recently voted to accept the following release schedule
for future versions of log4j:

1) Release 1.2.11 with JMS build fix.  Timeframe is immediate, within the
next week.

We should have a build candidate by this Monday, with the release before the
end of the week.  Andy McBride reported that the JMS related classes were
not part of the last build and submitted a patch to fix the build problem.

2) Release a 1.2.12 version with the TRACE change plus other major bug
fixes, keeping it within
reason.  Timeframe is within a month of the 1.2.11 release.

We will be determining the final set of bug fixes to include by the end of
next week.  We want to fix major problems that do not require api or
structural changes.  If you have a suggestion, please let us know asap.
Reported bugs with understandable descriptions AND patches will get
priority.  We make no guarantees, but we want to hear about them.  We are
going to move on this quick so we can focus on the v1.3 release (below).

3) Release a 1.3 version based on the current main branch.  Timeframe:
release of first final version by 10/2005.

v1.3 is the next major release of log4j.  There are going to be many
changes, some breaking, from the current v1.2 version.  We will be posting
more information about this in the coming weeks.  In particular, we are
working on a jDiff report that will more clearly show the differences in the
api between 1.2.x and the new 1.3 version.  This version has been a long
time coming, and the log4j team is committing to getting it out by October.
There have already been some early alpha releases, and there will be beta
releases as we move forward.  It is expected that 1.2.12 will be the last
release on the 1.2 branch, and all future effort will be focused on version
1.3.

If you have any comments or questions, please post them.

- The log4j committers

RE: [INFO] Log4j Release Overview

Chennamaraja, Srinivas
So what's the difference between 1.2.8 and 1.2.12 versions?, are we going back on version numbers?.  I am confused....

srini

RE: [INFO] Log4j Release Overview

Mark Womack-2
The version number is 1.2.12, not 1.2.1.2, so 1.2.12 will be a newer version
than 1.2.8.  BTW, the latest released version is 1.2.9.

Since we have not decided on the complete set of bug fixes yet, I can't
answer this with complete certainty.  It will contain the change to support
a new level, TRACE, one level below DEBUG.

-Mark

carnold-3
1.2.9: current production release, released 2 Nov 2004. 1.2.8 with
some methods deprecated to anticipate changes in 1.3.

1.2.10: Recalled release.  Version number will not be used to avoid
confusion.

1.2.11: 1.2.9 with JMS build fix

1.2.12: 1.2.11 with bug fixes

On May 18, 2005, at 12:41 PM, Chennamaraja, Srinivas wrote:

> So what's the difference between 1.2.8 and 1.2.12 versions?, are we
> going back on version numbers?.  I am confused....

RE: [INFO] Log4j Release Overview

Chennamaraja, Srinivas
Thanks, that clears up my confusion...

Srini

1.2.9: current production release, released 2 Nov 2004. 1.2.8 with
some methods deprecated to anticipate changes in 1.3.

1.2.10: Recalled release.  Version number will not be used to avoid
confusion.

1.2.11: 1.2.9 with JMS build fix

1.2.12: 1.2.11 with bug fixes

On May 18, 2005, at 12:41 PM, Chennamaraja, Srinivas wrote:

> So what's the difference between 1.2.8 and 1.2.12 versions?, are we
> going back on version numbers?.  I am confused....

Re: [INFO] Log4j Release Overview

rjst

    I would suggest, if possible, more frequent snapshot/alpha builds of
1.3 branch.

thanks
Ricardo

Mark Womack wrote:

> The log4j committers recently voted to accept the following release
> schedule for future versions of log4j:
>
> 1) Release 1.2.11 with JMS build fix.  Timeframe is immediate, within
> the next week.
>
> We should have a build candidate by this Monday, with the release
> before the end of the week.  Andy McBride reported that the JMS
> related classes were not part of the last build and submitted a patch
> to fix the build problem.
>

> 2) Release a 1.2.12 version with the TRACE change plus other major bug
> fixes, keeping it within
> reason.  Timeframe is within a month of the 1.2.11 release.
>
> We will be determining the final set of bug fixes to include by the
> end of next week.  We want to fix major problems that do not require
> api or structural changes.  If you have a suggestion, please let us
> know asap. Reported bugs with understandable descriptions AND patches
> will get priority.  We make no guarantees, but we want to hear about
> them.  We are going to move on this quick so we can focus on the v1.3
> release (below).
>

> 3) Release a 1.3 version based on the current main branch.  Timeframe:
> release of first final version by 10/2005.
>
> v1.3 is the next major release of log4j.  There are going to be many
> changes, some breaking, from the current v1.2 version.  We will be
> posting more information about this in the coming weeks.  In
> particular, we are working on a jDiff report that will more clearly
> show the differences in the api between 1.2.x and the new 1.3
> version.  This version has been a long time coming, and the log4j team
> is committing to getting it out by October. There have already been
> some early alpha releases, and there will be beta releases as we move
> forward.  It is expected that 1.2.12 will be the last release on the
> 1.2 branch, and all future effort will be focused on version 1.3.
>
> If you have any comments or questions, please post them.
>
> - The log4j committers

RE: [INFO] Log4j Release Overview

Mark Womack-2
Yes.  As I said, we will be determining the set of tasks to be completed for
the release, and will start doing more releases.

-Mark