File contention

Spence, Ian (ELS-CAM)
Hello,

We are writing a Websphere based j2ee app.

We are attempting to integrate Log4j as a logging mechanism.

A concern we have is over file contention, especially where multiple
instances of a session bean are attempting to Log a message via log4j. Say 5
bean instances are active and all try to log at the same time, will this
create a bottleneck on i/o ?  Or does Log4j handle this contention? Does
log4j buffer the incoming messages and process the file i/o in a timely
manner?

Ian Spence

Re: File contention

davidkarlsen
Spence, Ian (ELS-CAM) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We are writing a Websphere based j2ee app.
>
>We are attempting to integrate Log4j as a logging mechanism.
>
>A concern we have is over file contention, especially where multiple
>instances of a session bean are attempting to Log a message via log4j. Say 5
>bean instances are active and all try to log at the same time, will this
>create a bottleneck on i/o ?  Or does Log4j handle this contention? Does
>log4j buffer the incoming messages and process the file i/o in a timely
>manner?

Normally this shouldn't impose any problems. We use log4j in a
medium-sized (by US standards) production site without problems. Use
buffering for more optimal usage - and do *not* use location patterns
(telling you which sourcefile and location) for production - and you
should be OK.