Desire for a Gitter channel?

Matt Sicker
https://gitter.im/apache/home

We can request a log4j Gitter channel for realtime chat. This could be
handy for quick questions and other things that waiting on Stack Overflow
or mailing list posts isn't as appropriate for.

This would be very different from the ASF Slack as it is open to everyone.

Also, I find chat rooms a bit easier to reply to while at work than
browsing Stack Overflow. ;)

Re: Desire for a Gitter channel?

Tungathurthi, Chandra Kiran Bharadwaj
+1 for gitter!

thanks,
Chandra

On 18 Jul 2017, 12:05 AM +0530, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> https://gitter.im/apache/home
>
> We can request a log4j Gitter channel for realtime chat. This could be
> handy for quick questions and other things that waiting on Stack Overflow
> or mailing list posts isn't as appropriate for.
>
> This would be very different from the ASF Slack as it is open to everyone.
>
> Also, I find chat rooms a bit easier to reply to while at work than
> browsing Stack Overflow. ;)

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]

Re: Desire for a Gitter channel?

Gary Gregory-4
So, like a private Slack? Bah, why not, as long as we make sure to document
any and all decisions on the ML, it could be OK.

Gary

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://gitter.im/apache/home
>
> We can request a log4j Gitter channel for realtime chat. This could be
> handy for quick questions and other things that waiting on Stack Overflow
> or mailing list posts isn't as appropriate for.
>
> This would be very different from the ASF Slack as it is open to everyone.
>
> Also, I find chat rooms a bit easier to reply to while at work than
> browsing Stack Overflow. ;)

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Desire for a Gitter channel?

Tungathurthi, Chandra Kiran Bharadwaj
Hey actually, a slack channel would fit right in. Any specific reason to choose gitter over slack ? @matt

thanks & regards,
Chandra

Re: Desire for a Gitter channel?

Marshall Schor
what's the diff between gitter and hipchat?

Google search seems to maybe be saying hipchat is better for many.

We have already Hipchat available, I think.  (We've added it to our project,
Apache UIMA).

-Marshall Schor

On 7/17/2017 10:20 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:

> Gitter is public. And Slack is a paid service (free version has a lot of
> limits), so it's not very feasible for public chats without someone funding
> it. Gitter, however, is free for all GitHub projects (and Gitlab too I
> think?) and is even open source now that Gitlab owns them.
>
> On 17 July 2017 at 21:13, Tungathurthi, Chandra Kiran Bharadwaj <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey actually, a slack channel would fit right in. Any specific reason to
>> choose gitter over slack ? @matt
>>
>> thanks & regards,
>> Chandra

After having used both (Hipchat for my consultancy, Gitter for some open
source projects), I'd have to say I strongly prefer Gitter due to both the
UI as well as the lower barrier to entry for users. Users can log in to
Gitter via GitHub or Twitter (possibly more accounts now). The web
interface works fine, and there's a desktop and mobile version (similar to
Slack and Hipchat in that regard). Gitter is also more oriented towards
programmers than Hipchat. For example, Gitter automatically expands out
Gists and links PRs and issues (not sure if that integrates with JIRA).

On 18 July 2017 at 08:54, Marshall Schor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what's the diff between gitter and hipchat?
>
> Google search seems to maybe be saying hipchat is better for many.
>
> We have already Hipchat available, I think.  (We've added it to our
> project,
> Apache UIMA).
>
> -Marshall Schor
>

> On 7/17/2017 10:20 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
> > Gitter is public. And Slack is a paid service (free version has a lot of
> > limits), so it's not very feasible for public chats without someone
> funding
> > it. Gitter, however, is free for all GitHub projects (and Gitlab too I
> > think?) and is even open source now that Gitlab owns them.
> >
> > On 17 July 2017 at 21:13, Tungathurthi, Chandra Kiran Bharadwaj <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey actually, a slack channel would fit right in. Any specific reason to
> >> choose gitter over slack ? @matt
> >>
> >> thanks & regards,
> >> Chandra

Having used both paid and free service (of slack), I’d say the paid service makes a lot of sense for corporates.
a public forum like this I believe a free tier would suffice — unless we are looking for an option of having >10k messages for searching + >5gb of storage [1]. This is just my opinion, but people think otherwise and I believe some-biased opinions on Flock too[2].

thanks,

Chandra
[1] https://dev-s.slack.com/pricing
[2] https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-Gitter-vs-Slack

On 18 Jul 2017, 7:29 PM +0530, Marshall Schor <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> what's the diff between gitter and hipchat?
>
> Google search seems to maybe be saying hipchat is better for many.
>
> We have already Hipchat available, I think. (We've added it to our project,
> Apache UIMA).
>
> -Marshall Schor
>

> On 7/17/2017 10:20 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
> > Gitter is public. And Slack is a paid service (free version has a lot of
> > limits), so it's not very feasible for public chats without someone funding
> > it. Gitter, however, is free for all GitHub projects (and Gitlab too I
> > think?) and is even open source now that Gitlab owns them.
> >
> > On 17 July 2017 at 21:13, Tungathurthi, Chandra Kiran Bharadwaj <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey actually, a slack channel would fit right in. Any specific reason to
> > > choose gitter over slack ? @matt
> > >
> > > thanks & regards,
> > > Chandra

This link was posted on another mailing list recently in criticism of
Slack: https://bitquabit.com/post/i-hate-slack-and-you-should-too/

On 18 July 2017 at 09:12, Chandra <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Having used both paid and free service (of slack), I’d say the paid
> service makes a lot of sense for corporates.
> a public forum like this I believe a free tier would suffice — unless we
> are looking for an option of having >10k messages for searching + >5gb of
> storage [1]. This is just my opinion, but people think otherwise and I
> believe some-biased opinions on Flock too[2].
>
> thanks,
>
> Chandra
> [1] https://dev-s.slack.com/pricing
> [2] https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-Gitter-vs-Slack
>
> On 18 Jul 2017, 7:29 PM +0530, Marshall Schor <[hidden email]>, wrote:
> > what's the diff between gitter and hipchat?
> >
> > Google search seems to maybe be saying hipchat is better for many.
> >
> > We have already Hipchat available, I think. (We've added it to our
> project,
> > Apache UIMA).
> >
> > -Marshall Schor
> >

> > On 7/17/2017 10:20 PM, Matt Sicker wrote:
> > > Gitter is public. And Slack is a paid service (free version has a lot
> of
> > > limits), so it's not very feasible for public chats without someone
> funding
> > > it. Gitter, however, is free for all GitHub projects (and Gitlab too I
> > > think?) and is even open source now that Gitlab owns them.

> reason to

Mikael Ståldal-4
I would prefer if we could chose one or the other, and not have both at
the same time.

On 2017-07-24 18:46, Matt Sicker wrote:

> This link was posted on another mailing list recently in criticism of
> Slack: https://bitquabit.com/post/i-hate-slack-and-you-should-too/
>
> On 18 July 2017 at 09:12, Chandra <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Having used both paid and free service (of slack), I’d say the paid
>> service makes a lot of sense for corporates.
>> a public forum like this I believe a free tier would suffice — unless we
>> are looking for an option of having >10k messages for searching + >5gb of
>> storage [1]. This is just my opinion, but people think otherwise and I
>> believe some-biased opinions on Flock too[2].
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Chandra
>> [1] https://dev-s.slack.com/pricing
>> [2] https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-Gitter-vs-Slack
>>
>> On 18 Jul 2017, 7:29 PM +0530, Marshall Schor <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>>> what's the diff between gitter and hipchat?
>>>
>>> Google search seems to maybe be saying hipchat is better for many.
>>>
>>> We have already Hipchat available, I think. (We've added it to our
>> project,
>>> Apache UIMA).
>>>
>>> -Marshall Schor

>> of
>> funding

>> reason to

Also recall that our actual use of off-ML media should be limited to make
sure ALL decisions happen on the ML.

Gary

On Jul 25, 2017 02:19, "Mikael Ståldal" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would prefer if we could chose one or the other, and not have both at
> the same time.
>

> On 2017-07-24 18:46, Matt Sicker wrote:
>
>> This link was posted on another mailing list recently in criticism of
>> Slack: https://bitquabit.com/post/i-hate-slack-and-you-should-too/
>>
>> On 18 July 2017 at 09:12, Chandra <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Having used both paid and free service (of slack), I’d say the paid
>>> service makes a lot of sense for corporates.
>>> a public forum like this I believe a free tier would suffice — unless we
>>> are looking for an option of having >10k messages for searching + >5gb of
>>> storage [1]. This is just my opinion, but people think otherwise and I
>>> believe some-biased opinions on Flock too[2].
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Chandra
>>> [1] https://dev-s.slack.com/pricing
>>> [2] https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-Gitter-vs-Slack

>>> project,

I'm suggesting the use of Gitter as a user support channel, not for
discussing development. I prefer the mailing lists and jira for that
anyways (besides needing to record it there in the first place).

On 25 July 2017 at 10:33, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also recall that our actual use of off-ML media should be limited to make
> sure ALL decisions happen on the ML.
>
> Gary
>
> On Jul 25, 2017 02:19, "Mikael Ståldal" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I would prefer if we could chose one or the other, and not have both at
> > the same time.
> >

> > On 2017-07-24 18:46, Matt Sicker wrote:
> >
> >> This link was posted on another mailing list recently in criticism of
> >> Slack: https://bitquabit.com/post/i-hate-slack-and-you-should-too/
> >>
> >> On 18 July 2017 at 09:12, Chandra <[hidden email]>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> Having used both paid and free service (of slack), I’d say the paid
> we
> of

> Gitter-vs-Slack

Isn't Stack Overflow more popular for that? I don't want to look in many
places to help people. I do not think we should dilute... I have the user
ML I read, and SO, sometimes... I am not fond of have yet a THIRD place to
possible monitor...

Gary

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm suggesting the use of Gitter as a user support channel, not for
> discussing development. I prefer the mailing lists and jira for that
> anyways (besides needing to record it there in the first place).
>
> On 25 July 2017 at 10:33, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Also recall that our actual use of off-ML media should be limited to make
> > sure ALL decisions happen on the ML.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Jul 25, 2017 02:19, "Mikael Ståldal" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I would prefer if we could chose one or the other, and not have both at
> > > the same time.

> aachen.de>

> > we
> >5gb
> > of

> > Gitter-vs-Slack

> lot

> too I

SO or Gitter being more popular for questions probably depends on the scope
of the question and the individual project. I suppose SO is probably
sufficient for now, though I should start lurking there again.

On 25 July 2017 at 13:56, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Isn't Stack Overflow more popular for that? I don't want to look in many
> places to help people. I do not think we should dilute... I have the user
> ML I read, and SO, sometimes... I am not fond of have yet a THIRD place to
> possible monitor...
>
> Gary
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm suggesting the use of Gitter as a user support channel, not for
> > discussing development. I prefer the mailing lists and jira for that
> > anyways (besides needing to record it there in the first place).
> >
> > On 25 July 2017 at 10:33, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Also recall that our actual use of off-ML media should be limited to
> make
> > > sure ALL decisions happen on the ML.
> > >
> > > Gary

> at

> of

> > aachen.de>

> unless
> > > we
> > >5gb
> > > of
> and

> > > Gitter-vs-Slack

> > lot

> someone

> > too I

Ralph Goers
SO is great as a user forum for questions. Remko has been doing an awesome job of answering questions there for quite some time. I try to also when time permits. But it is not a great place for discussions.

Ralph