DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

EDMONDO SENA

Hi Everybody,

I've the following file propertes for Log4j2:

appender.A1.type = RollingFile
appender.A1.name = A1
appender.A1.fileName = Upgrade.log
appender.A1.append = true
appender.A1.filePattern = Upgrade.log.%i
appender.A1.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.A1.layout.pattern = %d %-5p  %3x - %m  -  %l %n
appender.A1.policies.type = Policies
appender.A1.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.A1.policies.size.size = 1KB
appender.A1.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
appender.A1.strategy.max = 0
appender.A1.strategy.fileIndex = 1

but when the application was launched the following error is shown:
main ERROR Maximum window size must be greater than the minimum windows size. Set to 7

Obviously if the max variable is set to 1 no problem.
Is possible to have no Rolling file using DefaultRolloverStrategy without this error?

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.

//Edmondo.

Re: DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

EDMONDO SENA

Good morning,

I don't know if a missed answer is that you are thinking about the solution, or that the solution does not exist?

On 2020/05/28 11:36:02, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> I've the following file propertes for Log4j2:
>
> appender.A1.type = RollingFile
> appender.A1.name = A1
> appender.A1.fileName = Upgrade.log
> appender.A1.append = true
> appender.A1.filePattern = Upgrade.log.%i
> appender.A1.layout.type = PatternLayout
> appender.A1.layout.pattern = %d %-5p  %3x - %m  -  %l %n
> appender.A1.policies.type = Policies
> appender.A1.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
> appender.A1.policies.size.size = 1KB
> appender.A1.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
> appender.A1.strategy.max = 0
> appender.A1.strategy.fileIndex = 1
>
> but when the application was launched the following error is shown:
> main ERROR Maximum window size must be greater than the minimum windows size. Set to 7
>
> Obviously if the max variable is set to 1 no problem.
> Is possible to have no Rolling file using DefaultRolloverStrategy without this error?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Kind regards.
>
> //Edmondo.

Re: DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

Benjamin Asbach
Hi Edmondo,

for me it's unclear what you want to accomplish. `strategy.max = 0`
indicates that you don't wan't to roll at all. So why you're using a
RollingFileAppender?

Maybe it would be useful to tell what you try to config at all.

Greetings
Benjamin

On 2020-05-29 11:40, EDMONDO SENA wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I don't know if a missed answer is that you are thinking about the
> solution, or that the solution does not exist?
>

> On 2020/05/28 11:36:02, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>> I've the following file propertes for Log4j2:
>>
>> appender.A1.type = RollingFile
>> appender.A1.name = A1
>> appender.A1.fileName = Upgrade.log
>> appender.A1.append = true
>> appender.A1.filePattern = Upgrade.log.%i
>> appender.A1.layout.type = PatternLayout
>> appender.A1.layout.pattern = %d %-5p  %3x - %m  -  %l %n
>> appender.A1.policies.type = Policies
>> appender.A1.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
>> appender.A1.policies.size.size = 1KB
>> appender.A1.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
>> appender.A1.strategy.max = 0
>> appender.A1.strategy.fileIndex = 1
>>
>> but when the application was launched the following error is shown:
>> main ERROR Maximum window size must be greater than the minimum
>> windows size. Set to 7
>>
>> Obviously if the max variable is set to 1 no problem.
>> Is possible to have no Rolling file using DefaultRolloverStrategy
>> without this error?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Kind regards.
>>
>> //Edmondo.

Re: DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

EDMONDO SENA
I'm using DefaultRolloverStrategy, I want Roll but no save file logging.

On 2020/05/29 09:46:04, Benjamin Asbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Edmondo,
>
> for me it's unclear what you want to accomplish. `strategy.max = 0`
> indicates that you don't wan't to roll at all. So why you're using a
> RollingFileAppender?
>
> Maybe it would be useful to tell what you try to config at all.
>
> Greetings
> Benjamin
>
> On 2020-05-29 11:40, EDMONDO SENA wrote:
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I don't know if a missed answer is that you are thinking about the
> > solution, or that the solution does not exist?
> >

> > On 2020/05/28 11:36:02, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Everybody,
> >>
> >> I've the following file propertes for Log4j2:
> >>
> >> appender.A1.type = RollingFile
> >> appender.A1.name = A1
> >> appender.A1.fileName = Upgrade.log
> >> appender.A1.append = true
> >> appender.A1.filePattern = Upgrade.log.%i
> >> appender.A1.layout.type = PatternLayout
> >> appender.A1.layout.pattern = %d %-5p  %3x - %m  -  %l %n
> >> appender.A1.policies.type = Policies
> >> appender.A1.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
> >> appender.A1.policies.size.size = 1KB
> >> appender.A1.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
> >> appender.A1.strategy.max = 0
> >> appender.A1.strategy.fileIndex = 1
> >>
> >> but when the application was launched the following error is shown:
> >> main ERROR Maximum window size must be greater than the minimum
> >> windows size. Set to 7
> >>
> >> Obviously if the max variable is set to 1 no problem.
> >> Is possible to have no Rolling file using DefaultRolloverStrategy
> >> without this error?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >> Kind regards.
> >>
> >> //Edmondo.

AW: DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

Groll, Andreas

If you don't want file logging, simply don't use FileAppender.

I'm using DefaultRolloverStrategy, I want Roll but no save file logging.

On 2020/05/29 09:46:04, Benjamin Asbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Edmondo,
>
> for me it's unclear what you want to accomplish. `strategy.max = 0`
> indicates that you don't wan't to roll at all. So why you're using a
> RollingFileAppender?
>
> Maybe it would be useful to tell what you try to config at all.
>
> Greetings
> Benjamin
>
> On 2020-05-29 11:40, EDMONDO SENA wrote:
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I don't know if a missed answer is that you are thinking about the
> > solution, or that the solution does not exist?
> >

> > On 2020/05/28 11:36:02, EDMONDO SENA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Everybody,
> >>
> >> I've the following file propertes for Log4j2:
> >>
> >> appender.A1.type = RollingFile
> >> appender.A1.name = A1
> >> appender.A1.fileName = Upgrade.log
> >> appender.A1.append = true
> >> appender.A1.filePattern = Upgrade.log.%i
> >> appender.A1.layout.type = PatternLayout
> >> appender.A1.layout.pattern = %d %-5p  %3x - %m  -  %l %n
> >> appender.A1.policies.type = Policies
> >> appender.A1.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
> >> appender.A1.policies.size.size = 1KB
> >> appender.A1.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
> >> appender.A1.strategy.max = 0
> >> appender.A1.strategy.fileIndex = 1
> >>
> >> but when the application was launched the following error is shown:
> >> main ERROR Maximum window size must be greater than the minimum
> >> windows size. Set to 7
> >>
> >> Obviously if the max variable is set to 1 no problem.
> >> Is possible to have no Rolling file using DefaultRolloverStrategy
> >> without this error?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >> Kind regards.
> >>
> >> //Edmondo.

Re: AW: DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

EDMONDO SENA

Where is the reason why MinIndex is set minimum to 1?

On 2020/05/29 13:41:06, "Groll, Andreas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you don't want file logging, simply don't use FileAppender.

So basically you want the log to be cleared after some time or afte a
specific size exceed?

e.g. everday at midnight the application starts a new log within the
same log name?

On 2020-05-29 11:54, EDMONDO SENA wrote:

> I'm using DefaultRolloverStrategy, I want Roll but no save file
> logging.
>

> On 2020/05/29 09:46:04, Benjamin Asbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Edmondo,
>>
>> for me it's unclear what you want to accomplish. `strategy.max = 0`
>> indicates that you don't wan't to roll at all. So why you're using a
>> RollingFileAppender?
>>
>> Maybe it would be useful to tell what you try to config at all.
>>
>> Greetings
>> Benjamin
>>
>> On 2020-05-29 11:40, EDMONDO SENA wrote:
>> > Good morning,
>> >
>> > I don't know if a missed answer is that you are thinking about the
>> > solution, or that the solution does not exist?

Re: DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

EDMONDO SENA
When has a specific size is reached.

On 2020/05/29 14:03:09, Benjamin Asbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So basically you want the log to be cleared after some time or afte a
> specific size exceed?
>
> e.g. everday at midnight the application starts a new log within the
> same log name?
>
> On 2020-05-29 11:54, EDMONDO SENA wrote:
> > I'm using DefaultRolloverStrategy, I want Roll but no save file
> > logging.
> >

> > On 2020/05/29 09:46:04, Benjamin Asbach <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Edmondo,
> >>
> >> for me it's unclear what you want to accomplish. `strategy.max = 0`
> >> indicates that you don't wan't to roll at all. So why you're using a
> >> RollingFileAppender?
> >>
> >> Maybe it would be useful to tell what you try to config at all.
> >>
> >> Greetings
> >> Benjamin

Re: DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

The min size is 1 because users want the file to roll and have some archives left around. In all the time I have been involved with Log4j you are the first person to ever ask for a file that essentially clears periodically.  I would imagine that this is because, depending on what you are doing, it is likely that the log events captured shortly before the rollover will forever be lost.

That said, if that is what you want then configure a delete action to delete all archive files on each rollover.

Ralph