Apache chainsaw

12

Apache chainsaw

João Ferreira
Hello,

Is apache chainsaw still an active project? If not, was it replaced by another project?

Best regards
Joao

Re: Apache chainsaw

Igal @ Lucee.org
https://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/changes-report.html
Last Published: 09/01/2007

I'd say it's not active.

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

On 3/29/2017 11:56 AM, João Ferreira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is apache chainsaw still an active project? If not, was it replaced by another project?
>
> Best regards
> Joao

Re[2]: Apache chainsaw

João Ferreira
Yeah, that was what i expected. But is there any project replacing this one?

Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 08:01PM +01:00 from Igal @ Lucee.org [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>:

https://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/changes-report.html
Last Published: 09/01/2007

I&apos;d say it&apos;s not active.

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

On 3/29/2017 11:56 AM, João Ferreira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is apache chainsaw still an active project? If not, was it replaced by another project?
>
> Best regards
> Joao

Re: Re[2]: Apache chainsaw

Scott Deboy
I use it and it works well for logs under 1M records, assuming you can
give the JVM enough memory.

I use the developer snapshot here:

https://people.apache.org/~sdeboy/

On 3/29/17, João Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, that was what i expected. But is there any project replacing this
> one?
>
> Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 08:01PM +01:00 from Igal @ Lucee.org
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>:
>
> https://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/changes-report.html
> Last Published: 09/01/2007
>
> I&apos;d say it&apos;s not active.
>
> Igal Sapir
> Lucee Core Developer
> Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>
>
> On 3/29/2017 11:56 AM, João Ferreira wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is apache chainsaw still an active project? If not, was it replaced by
>> another project?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Joao

Re: Re[2]: Apache chainsaw

Matt Sicker
Shouldn't we set up a Jenkins job for this so people can get snapshots?
Also, would be a good idea to work on a release at some point before
another decade happens without anyone noticing! :)

On 29 March 2017 at 14:30, Scott Deboy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use it and it works well for logs under 1M records, assuming you can
> give the JVM enough memory.
>
> I use the developer snapshot here:
>
> https://people.apache.org/~sdeboy/
>

> On 3/29/17, João Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Yeah, that was what i expected. But is there any project replacing this
> > one?
> >
> > Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 08:01PM +01:00 from Igal @ Lucee.org
> > [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>:
> >
> > https://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/changes-report.html
> > Last Published: 09/01/2007
> >
> > I&apos;d say it&apos;s not active.
> >
> > Igal Sapir
> > Lucee Core Developer
> > Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>
> >
> > On 3/29/2017 11:56 AM, João Ferreira wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Is apache chainsaw still an active project? If not, was it replaced by
> >> another project?
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >> Joao

Re: Re[2]: Apache chainsaw

Matt Sicker
Note there's also the Lilith project <http://lilith.huxhorn.de/> which
provides some similar features.

On 29 March 2017 at 14:41, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Shouldn't we set up a Jenkins job for this so people can get snapshots?
> Also, would be a good idea to work on a release at some point before
> another decade happens without anyone noticing! :)
>
> On 29 March 2017 at 14:30, Scott Deboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I use it and it works well for logs under 1M records, assuming you can
>> give the JVM enough memory.
>>
>> I use the developer snapshot here:
>>
>> https://people.apache.org/~sdeboy/
>>

>> On 3/29/17, João Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Yeah, that was what i expected. But is there any project replacing this
>> > one?
>> >
>> > Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 08:01PM +01:00 from Igal @ Lucee.org
>> > [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > https://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/changes-report.html
>> > Last Published: 09/01/2007
>> >
>> > I&apos;d say it&apos;s not active.
>> >
>> > Igal Sapir
>> > Lucee Core Developer
>> > Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Apache chainsaw

We can’t be pointing people to use snapshots from your personal page. I’m not even sure how you can publish there any more.  Can’t you do a release if there are features that you use?  It would be nice to at least say it supports Log4j 2 and how to set it up.

Ralph

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 12:30 PM, Scott Deboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use it and it works well for logs under 1M records, assuming you can
> give the JVM enough memory.
>
> I use the developer snapshot here:
>
> https://people.apache.org/~sdeboy/
>

> On 3/29/17, João Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yeah, that was what i expected. But is there any project replacing this
>> one?
>>
>> Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 08:01PM +01:00 from Igal @ Lucee.org
>> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>:
>>
>> https://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/changes-report.html
>> Last Published: 09/01/2007
>>
>> I&apos;d say it&apos;s not active.
>>
>> Igal Sapir
>> Lucee Core Developer
>> Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>
>>
>> On 3/29/2017 11:56 AM, João Ferreira wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is apache chainsaw still an active project? If not, was it replaced by
>>> another project?
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Joao

Re: Apache chainsaw

Matt Sicker
You need to use the new home.apache.org site for uploading things now
anyways. Who knows how long they'll keep the old server online. If we set
it up in Jenkins, we can also have snapshots published to Nexus.

On 29 March 2017 at 14:53, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We can’t be pointing people to use snapshots from your personal page. I’m
> not even sure how you can publish there any more.  Can’t you do a release
> if there are features that you use?  It would be nice to at least say it
> supports Log4j 2 and how to set it up.
>
> Ralph
>
> > On Mar 29, 2017, at 12:30 PM, Scott Deboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I use it and it works well for logs under 1M records, assuming you can
> > give the JVM enough memory.
> >
> > I use the developer snapshot here:
> >
> > https://people.apache.org/~sdeboy/
> >

> > On 3/29/17, João Ferreira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Yeah, that was what i expected. But is there any project replacing this
> >> one?
> >>
> >> Wednesday, 29 March 2017, 08:01PM +01:00 from Igal @ Lucee.org
> >> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>:
> >>
> >> https://logging.apache.org/chainsaw/changes-report.html
> >> Last Published: 09/01/2007
> >>
> >> I&apos;d say it&apos;s not active.
> >>
> >> Igal Sapir
> >> Lucee Core Developer
> >> Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

Re: Apache chainsaw

Robert Lu
Can chainsaw migrate to git?

Robert Lu <[hidden email]>
About me: http://about.me/RobberPhex

Re: Apache chainsaw

Matt Sicker
We can probably do that, though usually we like to do a 72 hour grace
period to make sure there are no objections before migrating repositories.

On 6 April 2017 at 02:01, Robert Lu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can chainsaw migrate to git?
>
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > You need to use the new home.apache.org site for uploading things now
> > anyways. Who knows how long they'll keep the old server online. If we set
> > it up in Jenkins, we can also have snapshots published to Nexus.
> >
> > On 29 March 2017 at 14:53, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > We can’t be pointing people to use snapshots from your personal page.
> I’m
> > > not even sure how you can publish there any more.  Can’t you do a
> release
> > > if there are features that you use?  It would be nice to at least say
> it
> > > supports Log4j 2 and how to set it up.
> > >
> > > Ralph

> can

> > this

> > by

> > --
> > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>
> >

> --
> Robert Lu <[hidden email]>
> About me: http://about.me/RobberPhex

Re: Apache chainsaw

Brett Randall
+1 for migration to Git.

On 6 April 2017 at 07:44, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We can probably do that, though usually we like to do a 72 hour grace
> period to make sure there are no objections before migrating repositories.
>
> On 6 April 2017 at 02:01, Robert Lu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Can chainsaw migrate to git?
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > You need to use the new home.apache.org site for uploading things now
> > > anyways. Who knows how long they'll keep the old server online. If we
> set
> > > it up in Jenkins, we can also have snapshots published to Nexus.

> > I’m
> > release
> > it

> > can

> > > this

> replaced
> > > by

> apache.org

> > > --
> > > Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>
> > >

> > --
> > Robert Lu <[hidden email]>
> > About me: http://about.me/RobberPhex

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Apache chainsaw

Ralph Goers
Brett and Robert, are you suggesting you would want to get involved in improving Chainsaw if it moved to git?

Ralph

> On Apr 7, 2017, at 6:42 PM, Brett Randall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 for migration to Git.
>
> On 6 April 2017 at 07:44, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We can probably do that, though usually we like to do a 72 hour grace
>> period to make sure there are no objections before migrating repositories.
>>
>> On 6 April 2017 at 02:01, Robert Lu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Can chainsaw migrate to git?

>> set

>>> I’m
>>> release
>>> it

>>> can

>> replaced

>> apache.org

>>> --
>>> Robert Lu <[hidden email]>
>>> About me: http://about.me/RobberPhex
>>>

>> --
>> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Apache chainsaw

Matt Sicker
Could be a neat opportunity for using JavaFX or something.

On 7 April 2017 at 21:25, Ralph Goers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brett and Robert, are you suggesting you would want to get involved in
> improving Chainsaw if it moved to git?
>
> Ralph
>
> > On Apr 7, 2017, at 6:42 PM, Brett Randall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1 for migration to Git.
> >
> > On 6 April 2017 at 07:44, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> We can probably do that, though usually we like to do a 72 hour grace
> >> period to make sure there are no objections before migrating
> repositories.

> >> set

> >> replaced

> >> apache.org

> >> --
> >> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: Apache chainsaw

Robert Lu
Hi, all.

I think developer need a tool to view, search log. Chainsaw was a great
tool, but need update.

I want to contribute to Chainsaw.

Robert Lu <[hidden email]>
About me: http://about.me/RobberPhex

Re: Apache chainsaw

DiFrango, Ronald
I’m wondering if in part Chainsaw died because of the ELK stack?

Ron DiFrango

    wrote:

    > Brett and Robert, are you suggesting you would want to get involved in
    > improving Chainsaw if it moved to git?
    >
    > Ralph
    >
    > > On Apr 7, 2017, at 6:42 PM, Brett Randall <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > >
    > > +1 for migration to Git.
    > >
    > > On 6 April 2017 at 07:44, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> We can probably do that, though usually we like to do a 72 hour grace
    > >> period to make sure there are no objections before migrating
    > repositories.

    > >> set

    > >> replaced

    > >> apache.org

    > >> --
    > >> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

    Robert Lu <[hidden email]>
    About me: http://about.me/RobberPhex

Re: Apache chainsaw

Scott Deboy
No, not at all  the two devs who worked on it moved on with their lives:)

I still work on it occasionally.

It has a ton of features, I'm not sure Kibana has many of them.

Scott

On Apr 9, 2017 5:12 PM, "DiFrango, Ronald" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>     > >>>> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>
>     > >>>>
>     > >>>
>     > >>>
>     > >>>
>     > >>> --
>     > >>> Robert Lu <[hidden email]>
>     > >>> About me: http://about.me/RobberPhex
>     > >>>
>     > >>
>     > >>
>     > >>
>     > >> --
>     > >> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>
>     > >>
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > ------------------------------------------------------------
> ---------
>     > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>     > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Kibana requires a lot of setup, too. That's more useful for making
dashboards for ops in my experience. Having a program I can use to look at
logs that's more advanced than tail would be nice. Kind of like Console in
macOS.

On 9 April 2017 at 20:35, Scott Deboy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >
> >

> >     --
> >     Robert Lu <[hidden email]>
> >     About me: http://about.me/RobberPhex

> > The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or
> > proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used
> > solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The
> information
> > transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity
> > to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the
> intended
> > recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission,
> > dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any
> > action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you
> > have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and

Re: Apache chainsaw

Scott, since you have been the primary developer on chainsaw of late I’ve been waiting for you to chime in on whether it should move to git or not.

Ralph

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 6:35 PM, Scott Deboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No, not at all  the two devs who worked on it moved on with their lives:)
>
> I still work on it occasionally.
>
> It has a ton of features, I'm not sure Kibana has many of them.
>
> Scott
>
> On Apr 9, 2017 5:12 PM, "DiFrango, Ronald" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I’m wondering if in part Chainsaw died because of the ELK stack?
>>
>> Ron DiFrango
>>

>> On 4/9/17, 3:56 AM, "Robert Lu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>    Hi, all.
>>
>>    I think developer need a tool to view, search log. Chainsaw was a great
>>    tool, but need update.
>>
>>    I want to contribute to Chainsaw.
>>
>>    On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Ralph Goers <
>> [hidden email]>
>>    wrote:
>>
>>> Brett and Robert, are you suggesting you would want to get involved
>> in
>>> improving Chainsaw if it moved to git?
>>>
>>> Ralph

>> grace
>>> repositories.

>> things now
>> If we

>> [hidden email]>

>> personal page.
>> do a
>> least say

>> [hidden email]>

>> assuming you

>> replacing

>> Lucee.org

>> logging.apache.org

>> logging.apache.org
>> apache.org

>>    --
>>    Robert Lu <[hidden email]>
>>    About me: http://about.me/RobberPhex

>> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or
>> proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used
>> solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information
>> transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity
>> to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
>> recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission,
>> dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any
>> action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you
>> have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and
>> delete the material from your computer.

Re: Apache chainsaw

John Lussmyer-2
On Sun Apr 09 19:01:43 PDT 2017 [hidden email] said:
>Kibana requires a lot of setup, too. That's more useful for making
>dashboards for ops in my experience. Having a program I can use to look at
>logs that's more advanced than tail would be nice. Kind of like Console in
>macOS.

Kedit is really good for looking at log files.

--

Tigers prowl and Dragons soar in my dreams...

Re: Apache chainsaw

Scott Deboy
If anyone wants a list of chainsaw features I'd be happy to provide it.
It's much more powerful than just a viewer.

Scott