Apache Log4j - Migration activity to 2.12.1 version - Request to support for the queries posted

Apache Log4j - Migration activity to 2.12.1 version - Request to support for the queries posted

Tunuguntla Anusha
Hi Team,

        Currently our application is using Apache - Log4j 1.2.16 version .
To mitigate the PISRT alert  (CVE-2019-17571), our application has to
migrate Log4j from 1.2.16 version to 2.12.1 version. As a part of this
migration activity we got stuck with  few doubts and we need
clarifications for the same . Please find below the list of queries.

Queries List :

1)      Query related to AbstractAppender constructor :
        Previously our application used log4j 1.2.16 version and in which
we are able to extend the class WriterAppender to create a custom
appender. But in new log4j 2.12.1 version, the  same class has made final
and so we are not able to extend the class in our application. Hence we
tried to extend the class AbstractAppender. Below is the clarification
required in     order to use constructor of that class.
        •       From our application, while calling the super class
constructor (i.e.  AbstractAppender) Can the parameters “filter” and
“properties” be passed as null??
        •       We use the setLayout method in the super class
WriterAppender but the AbstractAppender class does not have this method.
Is there any equivalent method for this functionality??
        •       We use the setWriter(Writer writer) method in the super
class WriterAppender but the AbstractAppender class does not have this
method. Is there any equivalent method          for this functionality??
        •       We use the closeWriter() method in the super class
WriterAppender but the AbstractAppender class does not have this method.
Is there any equivalent method for this                 functionality??

2)      Query related to configure() method in PropertyConfigurator class:
        In new log4j 2.12.1 core jar, PropertyConfigurator class got
removed and our application is using configure () method of that class.
        So can we use the LoggerContext class as per the suggestion
mentioned in the link (
https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/faq.html#reconfig_from_code )    ??
        If so how to use the original method configure (String
configFilename)??

3)      Query related to configureAndWatch () method in
PropertyConfigurator class:
        In new log4j 2.12.1 core jar, PropertyConfigurator class got
removed and our application is using configureAndWatch () method of that
class. What could be the alternative method     to be used in new log4j
2.12.1 jar??

4)      Query related to converting log4j.properties file syntax to
log4j2.properties file syntax:
        Is there any reference document for migration of properties files?

5)      org.apache.log4j. ConsoleAppender.activateOptions() in log4j
1.2.17
        In new log4j 2.12.1 version, activateOptions() method got removed
from ConsoleAppender and also in its parent class AppenderSkeleton an
empty method is present. What is the    equivalent method to be used?

6)      org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.FileAppender.setFile(String
file) in log4j 1.2.17
        In new log4j 2.12.1 version, setFile(String file) method got
removed from FileAppender and also not found in its parent class
AbstractAppender. What is the equivalent method to be   used?

7) org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.FileAppender.activateOptions()
in log4j 1.2.17
        In new log4j 2.12.1 version, activateOptions() method got removed
from FileAppender and also not found in its parent class AbstractAppender.
What is the equivalent method to be     used?

8)
org.apache.logging.log4j.core.appender.FileAppender.setAppend(boolean
flag) in log4j 1.2.17
        In new log4j 2.12.1 version, setAppend(boolean flag) method got
removed from FileAppender and also not found in its parent class
AbstractAppender. What is the equivalent        method to be used?

9)      org.apache.log4j.Category.getLoggerRepository() in log4j 1.2.17
        In new log4j org.apache.log4j.Category is present in
log4j-1.2-api-2.12.1.jar, but getLoggerRepository() is not found. What is
the equivalent method to be used?

10)     org.apache.log4j.or.ObjectRenderer in log4j 1.2.17
        ObjectRenderer interface is not found in latest log4j. What is the
equivalent interface/class to be used?

Note : For the above posted queries , we were not able to find the answers
/ clarifications from release notes , migration document or from any other
source . So we are requesting you to provide the support for the queries
posted .

        Please let us know if any of the queries mentioned are not clear.

Thanks
Anusha
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: Apache Log4j - Migration activity to 2.12.1 version - Request to support for the queries posted

Matt Sicker
What custom appender are you using? We might already have an equivalent one
in v2, or there may be a more appropriate extension point to start from to
port your plugin to v2.